Friday, October 10, 2014

Toilets

Mari has been doing most of the heavy lifting on the blog lately - my days are split between teaching and sight-seeing, without much time for blogging. Still, I have to hold up my end of the conversation, so today I'll turn to a subject of great significance but mundane appeal - toilets.

In the States we're used to robust, manly toilets that flush with confidence and authority. Whatever is in the bowl when you hit the handle is unceremoniously pushed with great force through the pipes. Croatian toilets, even in new buildings, are much less assertive. They flush, but it's more like they are encouraging (rather than requiring) the bowl contents be on their way. For instance, even as water swirls around and out the bottom, there is always a small pool in the bowl.

So what, you say? Well normally it would be no big deal, but Wednesday night and Thursday were not normal. I contracted a case of the green apple two-step, so efficient and effective flushing became a high priority for me. You can imagine - NO! DON'T IMAGINE THAT! - my dismay with the Croatian system. However, I have come away with much greater appreciation for the U.S. plumbing industry.

UPDATE: Here's the guilty party!


No comments:

Post a Comment